The unforced rhythms

 



You probably have seen a video or two on YouTube talking about "slow living" or have come across an article or blogpost on the phenomenon.  It seems more and more people have become tired of trying to catch up with the rhythms of this world. Well, I am one of those people. I am tired of this anxiety inducing busyness I've fallen into.

I grew up in a small town where life was just simple and still. Rhythms were natural and everything was simple; still is. I'm now in a very busy city trying to figure out how slow living would look like for me. Don't get me wrong,  25 year old me enjoyed the city. I enjoyed the hustle and the bustle. Somehow it motivated me to work hard like everybody else. However, I've grown to like it less now. I'm tired of the rat race; the early mornings as I shuffle and get ready to make that dreadful drive through traffic. I'm tired of the demands of this world seeking to squeeze out all of me. I'm tired of my jam-packed calendar and just being available to every event, every social, every gathering, every email. 

My soul craves stillness, calmness and slowness. It craves unhurried mornings spent on the coach soaking myself in God's Word. It craves peace that only 5am mornings bring. It craves the sweet melodies that birds chime in those early mornings. I crave an anxiety free morning. A life I don't have to escape from.


The more I read on slowing down and embracing these unforced rhythms, the more I wanted it for myself. For my own life. But, how?  Where and when do I slow down when the world is demanding so much of me? When responsibilities are knocking on my front door demanding my full attention? When being booked and busy is praised and celebrated? When burnout is normalized, and sadly regarded as some standard of "hard work"?

I've realized that the world is not going to wait for me or slow down for me. My schedule is not going to miraculously make room for slowing down and I was definitely not going to get a few extra hours to my day. I needed to start exactly where I'm at and create pockets of slowness, stillness and calmness in my daily routine. This required intentionality and mindfulness. I needed to be intentional about the habits I wanted and which would bring bundles of calmness and stillness, even if its just for a bit each day. One day it won't be "just a bit each day" but a way of life, at least for me and my future family. 

And this is how I've implemented small changes in my routine:

Waking up an hour early that usual

I've committed to waking up an hour before my first commitment for the day. For example, if I have a gym class scheduled for 6am or 6h30 am, I wake up at 5am. There are obviously some circumstances that may make this impossible on some days, but for the most part, this has been my routine. I use this whole hour to myself doing what would feed my soul and fuel me up for the day. Some days I sit on my couch and read my Bible and pray. Some days I sit and listen to the birds' chiming whilst writing on my journal.

P.S. I always try to leave my phone in my room just to avoid getting distracted.

Intentionally pressing pause throughout the day

One habit I needed to let go of is taking my lunches in front on my desk. If there's one thing I've learnt to appreciate recently is really enjoying the food I eat and being mindful of how I feel as I eat. I've noticed that I never get full when I eat facing a screen, be it a computer or TV screen. And that is because I'm not paying attention to my body, to my food and how it makes me feel. I'm mindlessly eating whilst my attention is drawn to something else.  

I've also been intentional about stepping out for about 10-15 minutes and getting some sun and fresh air. It's a mood booster!

Set boundaries

Honestly, you don’t need to be available for everything and for everyone. Just because you're free and have a gap in your schedule does not mean you need to say yes to every invite and to every request. I actually enjoy my own company. I enjoy my downtime and so I always block out some time in my calendar to just spend time on my own. And yes, I sometimes literally block out time from my phone calendar to remind myself not to make commitments on days reserved for me. On occasion, I also don't pick up calls when I really don't feel like talking or when I'm intentionally focusing my attention on something that feeds my soul. You can fight me on this one :/ 

Embrace today

Lastly, I'm trying not to worry too much, especially about things out of my control like the future. I'm trying to live today. Right now. And be present and embrace each day as it comes.


So my friend, slow living doesn’t have to be complicated. It doesn't have to be certified and verified as social media worthy and aesthetically pleasing. It needs to speak to you and the life you aspire to live. The habits I've discussed above are mine and what has been working out for me. I'm single and in my twenties (okay fine, late twenties. Very late twenties!). I have no kids and I live alone. So, I can wake up at 5am without worrying about waking up the whole house. I can be selfish and decide to block out time for myself because I don’t have a family to tend to. Do what works for you. Show up as the person you want to become and embrace the unforced and unhurried rhythms in your own way and in your own life. Just remember to be intentional and mindful.

Yours in health

Grace

Comments

Popular Posts